Date(s) - 20/05/2017
2:30 pm - 5:00 pm
East Moor War Memorial
The memorial was erected by World War 2 Veterans of 415, 429 and 432 Squadrons who served at East Moor.
The Monument is composed of a sundial of black slate, which is set on a plinth of green Westmoreland slate, and stands on a slab of Yorkshire stone. The plinth has the crest of the RCAF on one side and the crests of the three Canadian East Moor Squadrons on the other side. The inscription on the monument reads “This memorial is dedicated to all who served at East Moor in World War II, many of whom gave their lives, and in gratitude to the people of Yorkshire who welcomed them.“
RAF East Moor was located a very short distance to the South East of our village and in May 1945 it was able to cease its flying operations as peace began to return to Europe. At that time nearly 1,800 Canadian and British servicemen and women were stationed at the airfield. Early in 1990 Canadian veteran aircrew and ground personnel subscribed to and built a memorial in memory of the 640 aircrew who flew from East Moor, never to return.
With help from the Parish council, the Village Pound was identified as the ideal location for this memorial. The Pound having been used in times past as a walled enclosure for stray animals, which could be recovered on paying a small fee to the “pender”. Hence the Sundial Cairn was erected in its prominent location across the road from the Village Hall.
Faithfully there has been a Canadian Forces presence at every Memorial Service held since the Cairn was erected. This year is particularly important for one of the RCAF squadrons that will be represented as 2017 marks the 75th Anniversary of the formation of 429 Squadron at RAF East Moor in 1942.
Please come and remember those who flew out of our village never to return. Everyone is welcome to the Service and to the Refreshments afterwards in the Grey Village Hall.